Thursday, December 15, 2011

File #:28 Subject: Hockey Season

There are only a few things that I absolutely cannot live without.  My God, Angelina, Angelina's cooking, internet, and now... ice hockey!

This year I was blessed enough to be able to start playing ice hockey.  I started in a skills and drills league and was coached by the EKU goalie coach.  I really needed those four, one hour sessions, the transition from street hockey to ice was very different and I had never had any type of instruction.  Below is one of the drills that we did to practice angles, finding the puck, making the save, and following the rebound.


The season started, I had my ups and downs, but most off all I had a BLAST!  I slowly improved with the more ice time I had.  I got better at following the puck, and got more aggressive playing outside of the crease and challenging shooters.

The thing I enjoy the most about playing hockey (beside the fact that I'm playing the worlds greatest sport) is for that hour that I'm on the ice, the only thing that matters is the opposing player trying to find the back of the net and me trying to block the back of the net.  Especially the rush of a breakaway.  It's just the opposing player, the puck, me, and the back of the net.  So many things going through my head when I see the breakaway start. Okay, deep breathe. What's his speed? Will he come at me straight on or cut across the crease? Will he shoot or deke?  Is my angle good? Is my glove in the right spot? Is my stick on the ice?  Match his speed. Don't make the first move. Stand tall. Deep breathe...

I still have a ton of learning to do, but I had another skills and drills league these past few weeks and my last three games I only had a 2.33 goals against average.  That was a pretty good ending to the first half of the season considering my season GAA (goals against average) is 4.45.

Here's my stats from the first half of the season.  I plan on continuing to drop the GAA, improve my game as a whole, and continue to have a blast!

VersusGFGA
Sharks310
Stars41
Pens44
Caps73
Red Wings27
Caps15
Red Wings18
Pens22
Stars43
Stars23
Sharks56
Caps72
Stars51
Red Wings74
Sharks711
Pens23
Sharks36
Caps73
Pens02
Red Wings72
Totals8086
   
Season Totals 
GP20 
W6 
L7 
T2 
GA86 
GF80 
GAA4.45 
GFA4.00 


Again, thanks for reading! I'll post another video soon to show off my improvements!

No comments:

Post a Comment