Thursday, December 29, 2011

File #:30 Subject: Christmas

Another Christmas has come and passed.  It has officially passed because I actually took the lights down already (compared to last year, I took them down on Thanksgiving of this year). 

We drove down to Angelina's Mamaw's house Christmas Eve morning.  Of course the first thing she did was take us out to eat for lunch.  We hit up the local Dairy Queen, ate and talked for about an hour.  Once we got back to Mamaw's house all the cousins played cards.  We taught the cousins from out of state the game "spoons".  Thanks to my tech ed class in highschool, I still had all the skills needed to rock the spoons games.  Angelina's youngest brother finally got the best of me in the finals of the second tournament.  After a few hours of cards I went back to the room to grab a quick nap.  We went over to Angelina's great aunts house for the family dinner around 5.  Family dinners in the mountains of Kentucky are crazy!  Food was piled high in the kitchen, family was packed in every room of the house and everyone was talking at once.  After dinner we played a trivia game and whoever answered the question correctly came up and picked a gift from a mix of wrapped small packages.  I answered the question "where were ginger bread houses invented?" with "Germany".  I quickly grabbed the box of cherry cordials!

Once that was over and we got back to Mamaw's house, we opened the gifts from each other.  I got an umbrella and all kinds of great clothes (Did I just say "great clothes"? Holy crap I'm an adult!).  I love watching how Christmas works with Angelina's family, Mamaw always loves going all out, and her dad always gives the most useful, unique gifts.  We went to bed around 9 o'clock, I didn't fall asleep until about minight though.  No, I wasn't waiting for Santa. The Fifth Element was on TV, Jaws being on another channel didn't help either.

After about 6 hours of sleep, we had a knock on our door.  It was Angelina's dad, Christmas morning started at 6 in the morning.  SANTA CAME!!!! He brought me some more clothes and some gift cards.  I'm still deciding what kind of things I want to buy with my gift cards, I'm thinking some colorful work socks.

We cleaned up everything in the house, packed the cars and headed back home.

After unpacking, and cleaning up at home, we got dressed and headed over to my family's house.  My sister was in town from NYC with her boyfriend.  It was good seeing them again, because it had been awhile since we've seen them.  My other sister's fiance wasn't there yet, so we sat around and talked and caught up.  We got updates on how NYC was treating my sister and how her school was going.  And of course updates on my younger sister's wedding plans.  When her fiance arrived, we all sat down for our gift exchange.  This year the six of the "kids" picked names out of a hat and we got each other a small goofy gift and a nice gift.  My younger sister pulled my name an got a me a Ryan Miller shirt (which of course is AWESOME!) and she found a packet of pogs!  It kind of made me miss my oversized collection of pogs from middle school.  Angelina got a lady bug container, it's not supposed to hold lady bugs, it's shaped like one, and a purple scarf.  We also got stockings full of candy, cat toys and a dog treat.  Bruno actually loved the treat too! He usually doesn't care for dog treats.  Mom and Papa gave us a WalMart gift card.  We love getting WalMart gift cards because it helps keep food in our house.  After gifts we carried on our tradition of oplatki, then sat down to dinner.  Dinner was excellent! Pork, Salmon, cheesy potatoes with vegetables, brussel sprouts and of course, mushroom soup.  After eating and talking for a long time, Angelina and I said our goodbyes and headed home.

Monday was a day off for both of us, so we stayed home, cleaned up the Christmas decorations, took down the lights outside (Did that without even having to get on the roof!), and reorganized the shed.  I purchased a set of shelves to put up in the shed with the WalMart gift card! Thanks Mom and Papa!

Overall it was a fun and amazing Christmas, BRING ON NEW YEARS EVE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment